CAUTION: Lilies can be highly dangerous to cats! Easter is this weekend and we want to remind you about lilies being VERY dangerous to cats. To be safe we recommend that all cat owners avoid lilies altogether, both inside and out. The potentially fatal lilies are true lilies, including Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter, and Japanese Show lilies. These are all highly toxic to cats. Even small ingestions (such as chewing on the pollen, petals or leaves) can result in kidney failure and death. Some other varieties of lilies are a little more benign: Peace, Peruvian, and Calla lilies contain oxalate crystals that cause minor signs of illness, such as tissue irritation in the mouth, tongue, pharynx, and esophagus, which, in turn, causes minor drooling. Much the same as the more commonly recognized danger of poinsettias. Cats that consume any part of a lily require immediate medical care to effectively treat the poisoning. If you see your cat eating, or even chewing on a lily, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. Swift treatment and decontamination is imperative in the early toxic stage. Additionally, aggressive intravenous fluid therapy, kidney-function monitoring tests, and supportive care can greatly improve prognoses. Please share this important information with all of your cat loving friends.
If your pet has been drinking cow’s milk since she was a kitten, and has never had any problems, you are the proud owner of a truly lucky pet. We always see images of cats lapping up bowls of milk, but the truth is, many cats are lactose- intolerant — unable to produce the enzyme lactase — they cannot break down the lactose, or milk sugar, in dairy products. Contrary to popular belief, milk just doesn’t sit well with cats. If your cat drinks milk and you observe symptoms of diarrhea or dehydration, you should consider the possibility that she is lactose-intolerant.
It’s Easter time again and perhaps the prettiest decoration for Easter can also be the deadliest for your cat. All parts (stems, leaves, and flowers) of Easter lilies (actually all plants in the Lilium category) are toxic and can cause acute kidney failure within 12 hours of ingestion. Cats don’t even need to swallow the plant, even biting into a leaf or drinking the plant water can be harmful. If you suspect your cat has ingested a lily plant, do not wait for signs of illness to occur. Contact a veterinarian immediately. Your veterinarian will induce vomiting (if within a few hours of ingestion), administer charcoal to bind any ingested toxin and likely recommend hospitalization to flush out the toxins using intraveous fluids. If you are unsure, take a picture of the plant and send it to us or download the Petoxins app from the ASPCA. (http://www.aspca.org/News/National/National-News-Detail.aspx?NDate=20100312&NType=National#News4 Dr. Fletcher
Inquisitive cats that like to explore have a favorite season, and it’s upon us now. To protect your cats from themselves over the holidays, keep these pointers in mind as you decorate. Secure the Christmas tree to the wall with heavy cord to thwart cats who like to climb. If your cats bat at ornaments along the bottom of the tree, hang glass and other breakables high, and secure low-hanging ornaments with green pipe cleaners instead of hooks. Cover the Christmas tree stand so your cats can’t drink the water, which sometimes upsets feline stomachs. Don’t bring tinsel into the house, and don’t leave ribbon lying around, even if it’s attached to a package. Cats are attracted to tinsel, ribbon and yarn, which can cause life-threatening intestinal damage if it’s eaten. Candle flames, hot wax and potpourri liquid pose additional risks, so light candles and use potpourri warmers only when you’re there to supervise your cats. Keep your kittens away from mistletoe, poinsettias, holly and Christmas cactus, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, diminished appetite and lethargy if ingested. Use common sense with light cords and other potential holiday hazards. If it’s not safe for a child, it’s not safe for inquisitive cats.
From our wonderful veterinary technician team, here are some tips to keep your pet healthy and safe this winter. As the winter weather worsens you will most likely need to use ice-melt. Your pets walk on it and it will irritate their paws and while they are cleaning it off themselves, they may even ingest it. It can be toxic to them, so in order to prevent this, please purchase pet safe ice-melt. Most stores offer one variety or another. We believe that pet-safe versions work just as well as the others. Continue reading Salt, Antifreeze and Other Winter Warnings for Your Pet
Reverie means a daydream or an impractical idea; which is exactly what most people would think about this cat ever having a chance of being adopted. “Reverie” is a 16 year old, one-eyed cat whose journey in life resulted in him being one of many cats the Humane Society takes in every year. Most people looking for a new pet would never think about adopting a cat that was so old or a cat with a permanent wink. Lucky for “Reverie,” our long-time client Melissa Snyder isn’t most people. To Melissa, what this cat needed most was a comfortable home to live out his final years. His missing eye just added character to this loving handsome cat. “Reverie” is certainly living a daydream everyday as he spends time at his new home with his new family and I’m sure his family feels the same way about him. When Melissa was asked what attracted her to adopt the special needs Reverie, her response was insightful. She feels that people in our society get pets for their own satifaction or reasons. She feels that we need to get an animal with the animals needs in mind. We’ve been fortunate to get to know Reverie the past week as a special medical boarder. Melissa had brought Reverie in for a shot and was telling us about her concern leaving him home alone while she was on vacation. While many boarding facilities are unable to take animals with such serious medical problems, we have the medical resources necessary to the job. Since we’re a busy hospital we don’t generally have a lot of room for boarders. But in this case, we agreed to take Reverie in. How could we not? For anyone deciding on adopting a new pet, don’t always count out the older animal or the one that needs a little extra love. Sometimes these make the best pets and their gratitude is immeasurable.