It’s almost the 4th of July and while that means water, fireworks, BBQs, and fun for humans, for pets this holiday could be anything but. See the following safety tips to keep the holiday weekend fun for both you and your pets. • Public fireworks displays: Do not bring your pets to see fireworks. Animals are much more sensitive to noise than humans and the loud noises can scare many animals and many get lost. Pets should be left at home where it is quieter and escape-proof. • “At home” fireworks: Besides the risk of severe burns that lit fireworks can cause, many fireworks contain potentially toxic substances that will cause your pet to have gastrointestinal issues like vomiting, a painful abdomen, and bloody diarrhea. • Sunscreen and insect repellent: Unless the product is specifically labeled for use on animals, do not apply sunscreen or insect repellent to your pets. Both products contain harmful substances if ingested by animals. This is also true of citronella candles, insect coils, and oil products. • Alcoholic beverages: Keep alcohol beverages out of reach. If ingested, alcoholic drinks can cause your pet to become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed, or could go into a coma. In severe cases death from respiratory failure is also a possibility. While this list has many “don’ts”, we do encourage you to enjoy your weekend and spend time with your family, friends, and pets! We wish you a happy, healthy, and safe 4th of July weekend.
Summer is officially here! It’s a great time for outdoor fun and BBQing or grilling with your pets, friends, and family. While you may know what your pet can and cannot eat, it is important to share this information with others. Don’t assume that your friends know what foods are toxic to pets. Several foods to avoid include fatty sausages (pancreatitis), chocolate from s’mores (chocolate toxicity), and wild mushrooms (mushroom toxicity can prove fatal to certain dog breeds). While the list can be very extensive, we encourage you to have a brief conversation with your friends. They will appreciate it and so will your pets!
Enjoy your time outside this summer with your dog! Make sure that they drink often and be aware of heat stroke symptoms. If you notice any of the symptoms below, please help your dog drink and contact us ASAP. Signs of heat stroke:
- Gums and conjunctiva of eyes bright red
- Panting hard
Pets, Cars & Heat Brutus, Duke, Coco, Lola and Jake…sure, they’re fairly common pet names, but they’re also the names of just a few of the pets that died last year because they were left in cars on warm (and not necessarily hot) days while their owners were shopping, visiting friends or family, or running errands. What’s so tragic is that these beloved pets were simply the victims of bad judgment.Want numbers? An independent study showed that the interior temperature of vehicles parked in outside temperatures ranging from 72 to 96° F rose steadily as time increased. (And cracking the windows doesn’t help). To learn more, go to: https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/Hot-Cars-and-Loose-Pets.aspx