Tag Archives: hershey vet

OUR TEAM: Bark in the Park 5k Run & 1 Mile Dog Walk

OUR TEAM!
Please join us on Sunday, October 28, 2012 in City Island (Riverview Pavilion), Harrisburg. Our team of runners/walkers is set to raise money for the Pennsylvania Veterinary Foundation. Join us with or without your dog to take part in our annual 5k Run and 1 Mile Dog walk in the capitol city. Get pledges to bring with you to benefit PVF, and then have fun on your run! You can also make a donation to Bark in the Park at http://www.pavetfoundation.org/BITP.aspx  

Autumn Pet Safety Tips

We found these great tips at www.ASPCA.org and we wanted to share them with you. Have fun & be safe! Ah, fall—there’s nothing like crisp, cool air, the first months of school and luscious foliage to get you excited for the changing seasons. Your pet, too, is probably welcoming the break from hot, sticky weather. But pet parents, beware—fall is also a time of lurking dangers for our furry friends. From household poisons to cold weather hazards, the season is a minefield! Here are some tips to keep your pet snug and healthy during the autumn months. •The use of rodenticides increases in the fall as rodents seek shelter from the cooler temperatures by attempting to move indoors. Rodenticides are highly toxic to pets—if ingested, the results could be fatal. If you must use these products, do so with extreme caution and put them in places inaccessible to your pets. •It’s back-to-school time, and those of you with young children know that means stocking up on fun items like glue sticks, pencils and magic markers. These items are considered “low toxicity” to pets, which means they’re unlikely to cause serious problems unless large amounts are ingested. However, since gastrointestinal upset and blockages certainly are possible, be sure your children keep their school supplies out of paw’s reach. •Training tip: If you and your pooch haven’t been active outdoors in a while because of the summer heat, do some remedial recall training. Dogs, like people, get rusty on their skills if they aren’t using them. •Fall and spring and are mushroom seasons. While 99% of mushrooms have little or no toxicity, the 1% that are highly toxic can cause life-threatening problems in pets. Unfortunately, most of the highly toxic mushrooms are difficult to distinguish from the nontoxic ones, so the best way to keep pets from ingesting poisonous mushrooms is to keep them away from areas where any mushrooms are growing. Contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately if you witness your pet eating a wild mushroom. •In order to generate body heat, pets who exercise heavily outdoors, or who live outdoors, should be given more food during colder seasons. Make sure horses and other outdoor animals have access to clean, fresh water that is not frozen. •Autumn is the season when snakes who are preparing for hibernation may be particularly “grumpy,” increasing the possibility of severe bites to those unlucky pups who find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. Pet owners should know what kinds of venomous snakes may be in their environment—and where these snakes are most likely to be found—so they can keep pets out of those areas. •Many people choose fall as the time to change their car’s engine coolant. Ethylene glycol-based coolants are highly toxic, so spills should be cleaned up immediately. Consider switching to propylene glycol-based coolants—though they aren’t completely nontoxic, they are much less toxic than other engine coolants.  

Next Week is Deaf Dog Awareness Week

DEAF DOG AWARENESS WEEK
This year, Deaf Dog Awareness Week is from September 16th-20th. We will be featuring stories about some of our clients, patients and friends as well as other information about deaf dog education. If you know of any interesting stories, please email them to us so that we can share them. Outside of an obvious physical difference, deaf dogs are just your normal, everyday dogs.They do have a better excuse for not listening than most dogs, but they live in our houses, sleep on our beds, play with our children and ride in our cars. They go for walks, chase balls, bark at squirrels (yes, they do bark), and at the end of the day, they collapse in front of the TV with the rest of the family. They share our lives, and are our companions and friends.

INTERESTED IN BECOMING A CAT OR DOG FOSTER PARENT?

Castaway Critters
Castaway Critters has an unbelievable foster care program! Fostering is an immensely rewarding experience and is literally a lifeline for an animal whose future is uncertain through no fault of his or her own. Opening your home and heart to a foster animal requires a true commitment to the health and happiness of an animal – just like you give to your own pets. Below are some frequently asked questions from new foster moms and dads. 1. Won’t I get attached? YES! For the time that he or she spends in your home, your foster cat or dog will be like your own. They’ll not only look to you for food and water and bathroom duty, but also for companionship, play, and love. Our foster parents do sometimes kiss their babies goodbye with tears in their eyes, but there is joy mixed with the sadness. Their love and sacrifice are the reasons a homeless cat or dog has found her forever home. And if that place in your heart can fit another, there is always one more waiting for the safety and love only you can offer. 2. What will it cost me? Castaway Critters will pay for all medical care for our fosters. You simply take the cat or dog to the approved and authorized vet office when needed or for spaying/neutering, etc. We do receive donations of food and litter from time to time and will make it available to you. 3. How do people find out about my adoptable cat or dog? All our adoption animals are on the Castaway Critters website (www.castawaycritters.org). The website synchronizes with many national adoption sites, such as Petfinder.com. This gives them exposure for adoption. Additionally, you are encouraged to bring the cat or dog to weekly adoption events when you are able. This gets their adorable little faces into the public eye, and some people just can’t resist! Still not sure? Email your questions or concerns to: info@castawaycritters.org  

HELP FEED PETS IN NEED AT CASTAWAY CRITTERS!

Help Castaway Critters
Between Sept 1st to Sept 30th, 2012, every time a new Facebook post gets “LIKED” at www.Facebook.com/AHDCVets, The Animal Hospital of Dauphin County (AHDC) will donate 1/6th of a bowl of pet food to the Castaway Critters. By “LIKING” these stories every day and encouraging your friends to do the same, AHDC can donate an enormous amount of food to pets in need! The more virtual “LIKES”…the more REAL food! There’s no cost involved, just 15 seconds of your time per day. AHDC will pay for up to 1000 1/6 bowls of food in the month of September! Simply go to www.Facebook.com/AHDCVets To learn more about Castaway Critters, go to www.CastawayCritters.org

ENJOY YOUR LABOR DAY WEEKEND!

One of our favorite parts of Labor Day is the amazing food! When it comes to the food, here are some tips for keeping your pet safe: Don’t give your pet “people” food. It may seem like a great idea to reward your pet with scraps from the grill, but many foods can be hazardous. Keep your pet on their normal diet. Any change, even for one meal, can lead to severe indigestion and upset stomach. Examples of everyday hazards include avocados, grapes, raw/undercooked meat and onions. Never leave your dog unattended with a barbecue pit while it is in use. That delicious food might be too much for them to resist. An overturned pit could cause serious damage to your pet in the blink of an eye. It is also a potential fire hazard. There are a few barbecue staples you need to keep out of your dog’s reach. Alcoholic drinks have the potential to poison pets. Matches and lighter fluid, if ingested, can cause harm to pets. Lighter fluid can cause skin irritation as well. Citronella candles, insect coils and oil products can cause stomach irritation and possibly damage a pet’s central nervous system.

Laser Therapy for Pets?

Low-level laser therapy (LLLT) uses light to help reduce pain and inflammation and also injuries to heal more quickly. Our laser is very safe, painless to your pet and is valuable for treating many painful conditions. Virtually any disease process that involves inflammation can be helped with laser therapy. One of the most common applications of laser therapy in veterinary medicine is musculoskeletal disease and injury. The laser is effective in helping injured muscles heal more quickly, as well as improving the function of muscles that have been strained because of arthritis, hip dysplasia or other injury. Dogs recovering from orthopedic surgery benefit from laser treatment, as inflammation and pain are decreased while the circulation improves. Wounds and incisions heal more quickly when treated with the laser. Most treatments take five to 15 minutes and sedation is not necessary. Generally, a typical treatment plan includes six treatments over three weeks. Additional treatments can be done if necessary.